Search This Blog

Thursday, July 28, 2011

GWT - What is it and how I use it in my project - Tutorials

   Now I am working on a document system project. Requirements - web interface, desktop alike application, document upload, viewing, editing, security and so on. So I needed a framework, which could satisfy those requirements. Of course everything can be made in pure PHP and javascript, but the web is developing, so I decided to use some kind of a new technology. Gmail is created with GWT, and maybe even this blogging site.


   In short about GWT - It's Google's project, where you can write Web application in Java and then it is compiled to pure JavaScript. 
                                     http://code.google.com/webtoolkit/overview.html
               Advantages:
      • Use (Eclipse or NetBeans) IDE - syntax check, auto complete, debugging, compile time error checking.
      • Source code is compiled as small as possible (with variables a, aa...).
      • JavaScript is compiled for each browser separately, so you don't have to worry about that. And the code is using each browser's specific functions, so it is faster.
      • Page (application) is loaded only once, everything else - pure Ajax
      • JUnit testing (haven't used it myself)
      • Can work without JavaScript knowledge
      • Can include third party libraries (I am using SmartGWT), jQuery is possible
      • Server side can be Java, PHP or other
      • Use of designer (drag and drop Widgets)
      • ...............
                Disadvantages:
        • Not so straightforward including pure JavaScript (at first)
        • GWT default Widgets lack of richness - must implement yourself (or use extra library)
       In other words, I highly recommend using GWT in your projects...maybe because I haven't used other frameworks...but why should I, if I'm not disappointed :)

    No comments:

    Post a Comment